Tuesday 28 June 2016

Craig Boardman

Meet Craig Boardman. He has been a wheelchair user since he was 6, after a bad accident that broke his back. Here at Slamm, we saw some clips of him riding and, after discovering his situation, felt that Craig could be a big inspiration to other people out there who may feel limited and want to do something similar.



Here are some words from Craig about his story...

  "I was born on 7th December 1999 but my life started again in 2006 when I was 6, even though your life is not supposed to start again. 

I died and then came back to life after my accident. I had to put up each day with disabilities, inabilities and injuries. 

However, when scooting I have found my greatest success, pleasure and mates. Every time I go to a skate park people ask me what’s wrong with your legs and I get funny looks from them. I explain and they think how can he ride a scooter like that. The only reason I started to ride a scooter was to get about without using a wheelchair because it made me feel more normal in a group of friends. 

Sometimes its hard to wake up in the morning and jump into a wheelchair but then I get a phone call from my mates and I am spurred on to get on and to pad up, tighten my scooter and jump straight into it."


Craig currently also does wheelchair racing and is the UK under 20s champion. He is 11th in the country overall (all ages). He is also training for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, and uses scooting as his way to relax.

We are really pleased to have started working with Craig and have him as a flow rider for Slamm!

Check out his latest few clips here:

No comments:

Post a Comment